Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dancing Queens

As most of you know I teach a dance class once a week to approximately 15 girls in the community.  Every week seems to have its blessings and challenges; as does everything in life.  Sometime the girls come very early to class or show up late, they always have a lot to say, which some weeks makes for more talking than I would like rather than dancing.  But every girls leaves with a smile and seem to be filled with joy from the art of dancing.  

I mostly teach ballet and a little jazz.  The girls are learning the technique of ballet and then I try to teach them a dance every week...this is their favorite part.  They also get really giddy when I let them "free dance" or to play "freeze dance" where they get to dance while the music is playing but have to freeze in a position when the music stops. 

Recently my dance class was TREMENDOUSLY BLESSED by Columbia Dance Academy (CDA), from my hometown Columbia, MO.  Before I came to SVG I taught at CDA for 5 years.  I cannot say enough good things about this studio.  It has such a wonderful family feel and a close community. Jeanne Szkolka, owner and teacher, was my childhood dance teacher.  She and others at the studio were so supportive and excited for our move to SVG, and very excited for me to teach a dance class here.  When Miss Jeanne and others found out that none of my girls had any dance clothes (there is no dance supply store on the island and secondly these girls would not be able to afford those things) they decided to have a clothes and shoes drive. 

Words cannot describe the girls faces when they saw the shoes, leotard, skirts, etc. I don't think their smiles could have gotten any bigger.  They all enjoyed picking out and trying on their very own shoes and dance clothes.  Everyone got a pair of tights too, I told them they didn't have to wear their tights every week if they didn't want to because where we practice has no ac and can get pretty hot and sticky.  However, the next week they all showed up with all their dance wear and put everything on.

I can already tell they are taking the dance class more seriously because now they feel like real dancers with their clothes. 

My main goal of this dance class is to show each girl the love of Christ, and I am so very thankful for everyone from CDA who donated to my class and for showing them love as well.

I am reminded when the children came to Jesus and some of the disciples tried to stop them. But Jesus said to them, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children"...then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them."  Mark 10:14-16.

Even though supporters my be thousands of miles away, thank you again for taking these girls in your arms, placing your hands on their heads and blessing them!






1 comment:

  1. A blessing, indeed! That was very sweet of the CDA dancers to come down and support your dance class with supplies. It’s so wonderful to see different people sharing the same passion for dancing. To know that that passion connects every single person and makes them want to help each other warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete