Monday, February 25, 2013

Lesson Learned or Should I say Learning...

We have started the small group study workbook Living Crazy Love by Francis Chan on Sunday nights with our small groups.  Yesterday we talked about distractions and things that keep us from honoring God. I wanted to share an excerpt from the workbook that really settled in my mind and dug at my heart....

"But if you find yourself so focused on these things (good distractions ie: family, friends, church activities, work, etc.) that you aren't enjoying God's presence in the midst of it, consciously trying to honor God through the way you do these activities and pursuing the things that you know God wants you to pursue, then these things have become distractions." 

This really hit home for me. Being on the mission field there are always a lot of hats to wear. EK and I both teach at the college, I work at the preschool, EK helps with student issues, we are both campus coordinators, we have fellowship with the students, help lead student council....
All of these roles are important and we know God had chosen to place us in these roles for a reason. I find it very easy to go through my day to day routine and NOT "enjoying God's presence in the midst of it." Frankly, I forget to even invite him/acknowledge him in these activities. 

Today I made it a point to enjoy God's presence while I was at preschool, and boy did I see a difference.  I had more patience with the kids (though there is still always room for improvement :) ), I tried to see them as God sees them, as his dearly loved children which helped me to dearly love them. 


I invite you to evaluate the distractions in you life and to identify if there are areas
 you are not enjoying God's presence.  I am going to continue this challenge throughout the week to see how I do and what difference it can make while I work and interact with others.  

Now go and enjoy God... and from the words of Paul "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Phil 4:4


No comments:

Post a Comment