Sunday, November 18, 2012

Iguana and Games

Well EK and I had a first this week: we cooked and ate iguana! In St. Vincent  iguana season is from October to January.  People hunt iguana by catching them with their hands or using a small spear like weapon. Since the season has opened we often see local hunters standing on main intersections displaying their catch of the day, trying to sell the iguana to the people passing by; most of the time the iguanas are still alive!

I mentioned to our preschool assistant, Mrs. Marshall, that I had never had iguana. Mrs. Marshall likes to spoil me a lot to make sure I have the full St. Vincent experience, so the following week she came with iguana meat for me. Lets say it was one of the most intimidating cooking experience I have ever had, but it was worth it to say we have tried iguana.
Iguana Arm
before cooking
frying up the iguana

 
To prepare the iguana I placed it in hot water then removed the skin (it just peeled off). Then I added it to the pan with oil, garlic, leeks, salt and pepper. Then I squeezed 2 sour oranges over the top. The flavor was really good, the tail was the best part kind of tasted more like fish. The rest of it tasted a lot like chicken.
 
 
Tether ball
 
Our last adjunct teacher, Micheal Brown, brought in a tether ball and the students worked together to dig the hole and pour concrete and poof we have a tether ball.  None of the students have ever played before so we all had fun testing it out!
 



The student council lead our fellowship time this weekend which was a lot of fun. We played blanket volleyball!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment