Sunday, October 21, 2012

Here Comes the Rain!


First I have to apologize it has been so long since my last post. We have officially entered the rainy season here in St. Vincent and I think due to that our Internet has worked off and on for the past two weeks and it conveniently would not work every time I sat down to write on the blog.

Today, however, is a bright sunny day with clear blue skies! When it rains here it usually doesn't rain all day long but it does rain hard. Our apartment has a tin roof; EK and I laugh whenever it starts to rain because we know that means we have to yell if we want to speak to each other and if we are watching a movie we know it's no use because the rain is so loud we can't hear it.

In St. Vincent many people walk everywhere or use public transportation...and people do not like walking in the rain. Just like in the U.S. if it’s cold, people here say you will get sick if you go out in the rain, even if it’s 80 degrees outside. Whenever it starts to rain you see people quickly retreating under store fronts or seeking refuge under neighboring houses. I teach dance every Thursday to girls in the community and this Thursday was another rainy day. I assumed no girls would show up for dance because of the rain but when I arrived there were about 10 girls waiting under the carport...I guess that means they are enjoying dance class :).

We like to go on walks a lot and on Friday I had some girl time with the other missionary, Amanda Wurdeman, we went for a walk around the area we live. We got some funny looks because it had been raining off and on that day...like I said people here don't go for walks in the rain, even if you have umbrellas.

One good thing about the rainy days is the "cooler" temperatures...I think it is the closest we will ever get to fall! This is our first time not experiencing a change in seasons, we have to remind ourselves it is almost November and not still June.

We are so thankful to be here and serving in SVG and continue to feel the love and support from all of our supporters! Hope everyone back at home enjoys the cool fall days and colorful leaves while we enjoy the cool rain and luscious green surroundings!

A Closing Fun Fact: EK and I usually eat lunch everyday with the students which is a great time for us to fellowship with them. They have shown us new ways to eat things, specifically spaghetti. The students LOVE to put ketchup and mayonnaise....yes I said mayonnaise, on their spaghetti. I have tired one small bite, it wasn't too bad but I will stick to the "traditional" spaghetti. EK has not been brave enough to try it yet...

A picture for proof!
 

2 comments:

  1. Come on EK you gotta try it, isn't that like an insult or something to not? You guys are awesome, prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, at the school their are several different cultures so no one will be offended!

      Delete